Monday, March 11, 2013

Gridley, California.

I can't even remember the last time I was in the little town of Gridley, California.  The beautiful, quiet town is lined with orchards on both sides of the road, with an occasional humble home.  Sheldon Ave. is the sign we always watch for, waiting for the little blue home with the gate and the stairs leading up to the loft above the garage.

As we get out of the smelly, messy van, the humidity and heat hits us like a ton of bricks.  We can already smell the chlorine from the pool and the fresh green walnuts from the famous tree.  As we walk through the gates, my petite Grandma Jenkins is always there to greet us with hugs and kisses no matter what hour we arrive.  Peaches the cat is always by her side.



The first thing I do  is take the very familiar tour around the property.  I see the peanut shaped pool with the twirly slide that once sliced my fingers open.  I look into the changing room that still has the swim suits from summers ago... no one has claimed them yet.

I walk across the grass, where we always play whiffle ball, to the old rickety play ground.  I then open up the old wooden gate to see the rustic barn and magical kiwi orchard, where I've spent many hours hunting down tiny frogs.




The beautiful rose garden on the right side of the home is my Grandma's pride and joy.  With yellow gold, pink, red, white and multi-colored roses, it is the most beautiful thing I've seen.  

The smell of my grandparent's home doesn't smell like anything else in the world.  There's my Grandpa working on his cross word puzzle as he always is on the kitchen table, with a bowl of oats, milk, and fresh peaches my Grandma picked that morning.




My Grandma's special glass case filled with porcelain dolls was always my favorite growing up.  I would love to hold them and touch their beautiful golden curls.  Down the hall is the play room where the boys usually are, when they're not playing whiffle ball.  The oldest Nintendo you'll ever see is still being used after all these years by all the little trouble making boys.  I can't believe how amazing they are at that game.

 This summer I'll be returning to Gridley, California.  And I can hardly wait to see what I can remember, and to smell what I've been waiting so long to smell.  




1 comment:

  1. i love how this place is so magical to you. Places that are dear to us, who are home to the people we love, places that hold precious memories and that you hold close to your heart become like magic. I have a place like that, thank you!

    ReplyDelete